Stephen von Takach is CIO at PlaceOS. PlaceOS ties together drivers into systems by running functions on a scalable cluster of computing resources. Similar to how AWS Lambda works.
- Constraints allow creativity to blossom.
- Drivers can exist in multiple systems. Logic is system specific.
- Built on Crystal-lang, similar to ruby, but type-checked. https://crystal-lang.org
- PlaceOS started in AV integration but, because they can integrate with anything, it has evolved to focus on workplace experiences. Streamlining your day, from when a persons enters a building until they leave.
- User actions generate data that give insight into utilization and enable features like contact tracing and gamification.
- “Once you are integrated into every system, the experiences are only limited by your imagination.”
- Digital twin – modelling real world systems in the digital realm.
- Mitigating risk through partnering with IT.
- Most stake-holder resistance concerns network security, GDPR conformance and data ownership.
- Conference room automation is evolving to eliminate the need for a touchpanel control interface.
- Open source removes vendor dependency and helps educate. It also helps create a cooperative driver development ecosystem.
- Clients are looking for a wholistic solution. A single workplace app (as opposed to multiple apps with separate functionality) drives usage and discovery of what the workplace is capable of.
- Gamification can be used to drive a behaviour, like using spaces in off-peak hours, by offering an incentive, like free coffee and gift cards.
Mentioned In This Episode
AMX, Cisco, Microsoft Teams, Project Connected Home over IP, Google, Apple, Zigbee,